The Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board traces its roots to 1852, when the Sisters of St. Joseph were asked by the vicar of St. Mary’s parish to establish education programs for Catholic children in the city. This was, in part, a response to a large influx of Catholic families from Ireland in the mid-1840’s.
The Hamilton Separate School Board was formally established in 1855. Over the next 114 years, other Catholic school districts and boards were established in Wentworth County and by 1969 there were seven Catholic boards. These amalgamated into the single regional structure in 1969. In 1998, the Hamilton-Wentworth Roman Catholic Separate School Board became The Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board.
St Anthony Daniel Catholic School was opened on September 8, 1970 as a Kindergarten to Grade 8 school. The school had a initial population of over 300 students. The school was originally built as an open concept pilot project school with a regulation size gymnasium. The gymnasium became regularly used for CYO games.During the 1970's, portables were added as the school's population grew. Recently, St Anthony Daniel was renovated with walls constructed in all open area classrooms.
Currently, St Anthony Daniel has a population of 160 students. St Anthony Daniel is one of three schools that belong to St. Margaret Mary Parish and is a feeder school to St Jean de Brebeuf Catholic Secondary School.