Concussion Prevention Planning
The Hamilton-Wentworth Catholic District School Board Concussion Prevention Plan includes the following:
1. Review OPHEA Guidelines for each sport to determine that the equipment used and training provided to coaches and students includes concussion awareness.
2. Review and inspect equipment worn and/or used by students participating in intramural/competitive sports to ensure proper head protection equipment is being used, the equipment is not damaged or unsafe to use and students are aware that they must wear the head protection equipment at all times when in play.
3. Ensure students and parents are provided with informed consent letters that include the sports the student has requested to participate in and only permit participation by a student who has returned the parental approval consent letter to the teacher/coach.
4. Ensure all relevant staff & coaches have completed documented awareness training for concussions.
5. All relevant students, staff, and coaches will complete and submit required Concussion Codes of Conduct prior to participation in school sponsored activities.
6. A Concussion Steering Committee will meet periodically to review the elements included in the Concussion Policy and Support Document for Concussion Related Injuries and establish training and awareness educational initiatives.