The Wismer Award for High School Coaching Excellence is presented annually to a currently active high school coach in the city of Hamilton, Ontario who best personifies the attributes of John Wismer-teacher, coach and friend.
John Wismer was a talented, innovative, spirited teacher and coach, who for more than thirty-three years, inspired student athletes to do their very best at all times in all facets of life. Coach Wismer knew high expectations, meant high achievement, and he dared his student athletes to believe in themselves and to set lofty goals. Winning in life and in sports was important to him.
The Wismer Award for High School Coaching Excellence enables the Hamilton high school community to honour the many talented and dedicated coaches whose efforts are truly inspirational. The Award recognizes coaches who make significant contributions to the growth and continuing development of students and athletes, and as well, fosters the highly regarded and vital role of Hamilton area high school coaches in the development of our community. Please note-we select two winning coaches- one from the HWDSB and one from the HWCDSB.
Nomination Criteria and Requirements
- Develops trust and a mutually respectful relationship with students and athletes
- Leads by example - is talented, spirited and innovative
- Emphasizes the need for fairness in sports and life
- Provides support and encouragement to enhance life skills and abilities
- May or may not be a teacher, must have coached a minimum of five years and have coached, in the 2016/2017 school year, any sport at the high school level with the Hamilton Wentworth District School Board or the Hamilton Wentworth Catholic District School Board
- Coaches cannot nominate themselves
- Nominations received by Tuesday, April 25th, will be considered for the Tuesday, May 30th 2017 Wismer Award. Nominations received after April 25th, will be considered for the Tuesday, May 29th, 2018 Award
- Nominators, nominees, and references may be contacted by the Selection Committee to verify nomination information
- The Selection Committee will select six finalists for the Wismer Award for High School Coaching Excellence. Finalists will be informed by Wedneday, April 26th, 2017.
- The six finalists will be invited to a Media Conference at Tim Horton’s Field on Tuesday, May 9th and introduced to the public. Two winners will be announced-one from the HWDSB and one from at HWCDSB at the Wismer Foundation Golf Tournament and Award Presentation Dinner, Tuesday, May 30th 2017, at Carlisle Golf and Country Club, Carlisle.