Pupil Accommodation Review
In accordance with Board policy S.09 Pupil Accommodation Review, the Board is responsible for providing schools and facilities for its students and for operating and maintaining its schools as effectively and efficiently as possible to support student achievement. The Board is also responsible for fostering student achievement and spiritual well-being, as well as ensuring effective stewardship of school board resources including the Board’s viability and sustainability.
In some cases, to address changing student populations, the Board of Trustees must consider undertaking pupil accommodation reviews that may lead to school consolidations or closures in order to enable improved educational options and opportunities for students.
The goal of bringing students together through school consolidations is to offer a better educational experience for those students. Some of the potential improvements may include:
- The range of programming and courses available.
- The availability of specialized support services for individual students or small groups.
- Specialized facilities, such as gyms, libraries, design and technology, music and science rooms.
- Sufficient enrolment to support sports teams and other extracurricular activities.
- A school building is in better condition than the one that is to close.
- Accessibility features with respect to entry, movement within the facility and outdoor play space.