Destiny Discover
We Are Hiring

Language Impairment
Ministry Criteria

Ministry Criteria

A learning disorder characterized by an impairment in comprehension and/or use of verbal communication or the written or other symbol system of communication, which may be associated with neurological, psychological, physical or sensory factors, and which may:

a) involve one or more of the form, content and function of language in communication;

b) include one or more of the following:

- language delay
- dysfluency
- voice and articulation development, which may or may not be organically or functionally based.

Board Criteria

The student displays a moderate to severe delay in receptive and/or expressive language development (at or below the 8th percentile) which is not due to a mild intellectual disability, a developmental disability or cultural/linguistic differences.


A written report from a Speech-Language Pathologist who is a member of the College of Audiologists and Speech-Language Pathologists which describes the nature and severity of the language impairment.


A written report from a member of the College of Psychologists (or an individual directly supervised by a member) which indicates that intellectual functioning is within normal limits.

Our Resources

What services are available at school for my child?

The Board employs Speech Language Pathologists who consult to schools to support students with communication problems. They are part of three teams:

Augmentative Communication Team
Who provide service to students who are nonverbal or who have limited speech.

Autism Spectrum Disorder Team
Who provide service to students with the diagnosis of Autism.

Family of Schools Team
Who provide service to all other students with speech or language problems.

The Board also offers a specific short term program to support children who have identified speech and/or language needs. This is the Primary Speech and Language Centre. See document below for details:


External Resources

Contact Information

Who can I talk to about Speech Language Pathology services for my child?

You can ask the Principal of your child’s school, your child’s teacher, or the school Special Education Resource Teacher about how to access services. Or, you can contact

Michelle Torsney, M.A. Reg. CASLPO
Manager of Speech, Language + Hearing Services
905-525-2930 ext. 2889